Monday, February 18, 2013

Her Majesty!'s Main Menu.



Hi guys! Welcome to skyline+.

Like two years ago, I want to show you guys how the final main menu design came about. I decided to redo the whole thing again to match my new GUI! It's a good way for me to keep these old art as a memento now that I'm in the process of erasing sketches I no longer need. xD






Original Design:
People who follow my Tumblr have probably seen these images at one point. I really wanted to put a crown on Carmeline's head (and a red coat) as a play on the title, but after I resketched and repositioned the floating heads, I noticed that the coat covered almost half of Killian's face... OTL

In the end, I just stuck with the non-obtrusive crown and staff, even though I wasn't really happy with the overall design. This is also when I decided to use the lace motif, which I thought would differentiate a bit from other Princess-related VNs/games that use royal decals. Laces are a personal favorite of mine, so I hope the abundance of those things in this game aren't so off-putting to everyone. ^^;

(As you've also noticed, the character design changed quite a bit. More on that later!)

- - - 


First Remake:
a.k.a. The Design That Didn't Get Anywhere Beyond the Sketch, lol. And for obvious reasons as well.

I did this last year when I was preparing for my graduation project proposal. Carmeline looks a tad older, but that is because I had to change my style just a bit to make it less animu. I went back to my original idea of putting Carmeline in a garb + crown but ran into this problem where I didn't know where to put the other three characters in (the very opposite problem of the last one!). Ack.

It's a shame because I quite liked the way the sketch was cropped...but Gareth and Ansel look pretty derpy lol.

- - -


Final (?) Remake:
(I put a question mark at the end because I don't trust my indecisive self lol.)

With this one, I went for lighter coloring as opposed to the heavy-handed style like those above. If you can't tell, I was very much inspired by Kazuaki's coloring style; the original art actually had more texture than this one, but I decided to remove it. (Even the suit design was inspired by her SS art lol.)

I decided to draw everyone properly and not resort to floating heads anymore, which worked out for me in the end. So far, this is the closest I managed to get in drawing Carmeline the way I imagined her to be in my head! I'm so happy. It's definitely not perfect, but I finally got a moe-looking Carmeline that I want! ;w; On the other hand, I apologize if Ansel ended up looking so derpy in this picture. OTL

Also, I'd like to point out that the scale of the figures is relevant to the order of their appearance in the game, in which case Carmeline --> Gareth --> Ansel --> Killian. I hope people won't mistake it as Gareth being Carmeline's canon pair or anything...

And that's pretty much it! I hope the remake is a bit better than the original main menu. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment